Discrete event simulation is a powerful technique that can be used to to solve more complex system reliability modeling problems. This article introduces the some of the capabilities of the Discrete Event Simulation tool in the Reliability Analytics Toolkit.
The Discrete Event Simulation tool can be used for:
1. Estimating system mean time between critical failure (MTBCF) for a system consisting of units with different failure and repair scenarios.
2. Estimating system operational availability (Ao).
3. Providing graphical visualizations of the overall failure and repair process for individual units, as well as a system of units operating together.
4. Estimating spare part requirements and the impact of different policies, such as local versus remote spare parts, on Ao and MTBCF.
5. Other custom user studies (by exporting the simulation results to Excel).