The first step in the reliability engineering process is to specify the required reliability that the equipment/system must be designed to achieve. The essential elements of a reliability specification are:
- a quantitative statement of the reliability requirement.
- a full description of the environment in which the equipment/system will be stored, transported, operated and maintained.
- the time measure or mission profile.
- a clear definition of what constitutes failure.
- a description of the test procedure with accept/reject criteria that will be used to demonstrate the specified reliability.